Asked why he did not fight to keep his job, Mr. Sorensen said in a Facebook message: “I didn’t want the White House to have to deal with this distraction. It should be able to focus on continuing President Trump’s historic accomplishments for the American People.”
A former policy adviser to Gov. Paul Richard LePage of Maine, Mr. Sorensen began working for the Trump administration in May. Julie Rabinowitz, a spokeswoman for Mr. LePage, said in a statement on Friday that the governor had been unaware of the accusations, and that none had been made during Mr. Sorensen’s time in that office.
“Without an allegation or evidence, there was nothing upon which the governor could take action,” she wrote.
In a statement, Raj Shah, the deputy White House press secretary, confirmed Mr. Sorensen’s departure.
“Before we were contacted by the media, we learned last night that there were allegations,” Mr. Shah said. “We immediately confronted the staffer, he denied the allegations and he resigned today.”
Like Ms. Corbett, Mr. Porter’s former wives also said they had told the F.B.I. about being abused — in their cases, more than a year ago. But the background checks were still underway for both men at the time of their resignations, and there is no indication that the White House conducted its own review of either aide.